The Nature Conservancy’s Values
As indispensable to The Nature Conservancy’s success as our unifying mission, vision, goals and measures are our unique values—the distinguishing attributes that characterize how we conduct ourselves in our drive for tangible, lasting results. These attributes are not mere platitudes but deeply held convictions universally manifested by all who represent The Nature Conservancy.
- Integrity Beyond Reproach:
We will meet the highest ethical and professional standards in all of our organizational endeavors and, in doing so, we hold ourselves accountable to our mission and to the public.
- Be honest at all times
- Be accountable to each other, to the mission, to our donors, members, partners, and to the public
- Earn trust by building relationships, being competent, and following through on all of our commitments
- Respect for People, Communities, and Cultures:
Enduring conservation success depends on the active involvement of peopleand partners whose lives and livelihoods are linked to the natural systems we seek to conserve. We respect the needs, values and traditions of local communities and cultures, and we forge relationships based on mutual benefit and trust.
- Demonstrate respect by committing to local, on the ground involvement with people, communities and cultures, and with awareness and sensitivity to their economic realities
- Treat our partners and colleagues with fairness and honesty
- Work collaboratively with all sectors of society, including indigenous people, to develop practical conservation solutions.
- Commitment to Diversity:
We recognize that biological diversity conservation is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of men and women of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and cultures. We will recruit and mentor staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character.
- Respect and be open to a variety of viewpoints and diversity of thought
- Work in an environment that encourages each of us to achieve our potential and values the contributions of all
- Expand and strengthen the diversity of our workforce, trustee base, and board
- One Conservancy:
Our strength and vitality lie in being one organization working together in local places and across borders to achieve our global mission. We value the collective and collaborative efforts that are so essential to our success.
- Work across all of our operations to implement and support the right strategies, at the right scales, and at the right places always with the greater good of our mission in mind
- Act with continuity of purpose in everything we do, from the focus of our conservation efforts to the allocation of our resources
- Celebrate individual, team and project success as the success of all who work for TNC
- Tangible, Lasting Results:
Our mission of preserving biological diversity guides everything we do. We use the best available science, a creative spirit, and a non-confrontational approach to craft innovative solutions to complex conservation problems at scales that matter and in ways that will endure.
- Develop, analyze and use the best available conservation science and a science-based rigor to set priorities, make decisions, take action, and measure results
- Use a creative spirit and original thought in the pursuit of excellence
- Conduct our business in an environmentally sensitive manner
Go to The Nature Conservancy now to make your donation.